Thursday, August 1, 2013

Arriving at Vauville

Getting off the train in Cherbourg was a little more confusing than at the first two placement, solely because Cherbourg is a much bigger city! But Madame de Turckheim Pellerin was waiting very officially with a sign saying “Jardin Botanique de Vauville,” so in the end it was a little difficult to miss her. She speaks great English, and we both keep reminding each other that it’s better practice for me if I speak in French. She showed me where the garden entry was, and then dropped me off at the intern house to get settled. It’s a small little house, with 2 bedrooms upstairs, and a kitchen and living/dining room downstairs, but we don’t need all that much. There’s one other intern sharing the house with me right now, a 17 year old named Florian who lives in the Loire Valley. He’s interning at the garden to learn plants and wants to work in ecological preservation.

Once I had my things settled, I returned to the garden and they jumped straight in to explanations about exactly what I would be doing and where I would be working when. Florian was kind enough to make dinner for the both of us afterwards. We’ll see if I can’t help him improve his cooking skills while I’m here. We went on a brief walk after dinner down to the ocean, which is just a few minutes’ walk from the intern house. It’s truly beautiful, and I anticipate taking many walks down to the ocean, but the water is coooooold! I guarantee you I won’t be swimming voluntarily. Even if a two hour surfing lesson is only 20 euro. I didn’t get any good pictures of the garden on my first day, but I did get some from around town.
View down the street from the intern house.

Looking through the gate at the chateau.

Oh, just a random pastoral scene next to the road.

I believe these houses are in the busiest part of town.
Which isn't busy at all.

Looking inland from the beach.

I must be dreaming.

Even the rocks are pretty.



EVEN THE ROCKS ARE PRETTY!

No comments:

Post a Comment