Saturday, August 3, 2013

Finding a rhythm

My work schedule at Vauville is from 9am-noon, and from 2pm-roughly 7pm. We always have Sunday morning off, as well as one other full day off per week that rotates between the interns. In the mornings, we work in the garden, and I spent my first two mornings deadheading roses.

I was working on these as well as some others. They’re lollipops, but it’s what they asked for.



This is next to the roses. Best. Doghouse. Ever.
 In the afternoons, we work in the welcome area. It has a tea house, small shop, plant sales, and ticket booth. One of the interns is always in the ticket booth. It’s certainly been good for practicing my French. I’ve had some people tell me that they thought I was French until they heard me speaking English with some American visitors. I get to tend to the sales area as well, pulling stock up from the nursery on the chateau grounds. All the plants that are sold at the garden come from their own nursery. I think the area would benefit from some new display benches and definitely new signs, but we’ll see what I can figure out.

In the ticket booth, there’s also a large Botanica, so in between visitors I can be studying and brushing up on my plant knowledge, and learning more about some of the unfamiliar plants from the southern hemisphere.

It's seen better days, but it's obviously well used.

During lunch today, we went to the neighboring town for their sheep festival. Mostly it was people getting together over roast mutton, cider and beer, but there were some competitions and sheep sales as well as artisan booths. During the prime lunch hour, there was a country western group based out of Cherbourg that was performing. It really felt just the same as a small county fair back in the states. Unfortunately, I didn’t have time to run back to the house and grab my camera, so I have no photos to prove any of it.

I have the morning off tomorrow, so I plan on taking a good walk through the garden and getting pictures soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment